At higher educational levels, it is necessary to follow all of the standards linked with your work. In the case of writing, its style needs to have a particular focus. As per its importance, this article aims to discuss the guidelines that can be useful while using formal language.
What are the Things that One Should Consider When Using Formal Language?
While using formal language, you must know its do’s and don’ts. If you do not clearly understand these things, you will surely make many mistakes. The do’s and don’ts of formal writing are mentioned below:
- The right use of words
- Full form of words
- Use third-person
- Avoid the use of slang
- Avoid the use of first-person
- Avoid the use of second-person
- Do not use abbreviations
- How do I Get Better at Writing Formal?
Some tips are mentioned below to help you get better at formal writing:
- Have a good command of vocabulary
- Try to use active voice more than passive voice
- Practice using formal language on a daily basis
- Ask your peers for feedback
- Follow the guidelines of credible authors
- Highlight the identified mistakes and practise to avoid it
- What are the Four Important Features of Formal Writing?
The following are the four features of using formal language:
- Complex structure
In a complex structure, the use of short sentences is avoided. The use of formal language is ensured in academic writing, and academic writing covers so many technical terms and concepts. By using formal language, it becomes easy to make all of the terms and concepts easy to understand. Formal writing focuses on the structure of any document. In all of the documents that ensure a formal writing style, the writing structure is used as follows:
- First of all, the introduction is necessary. Without introducing the topic of discussion, it becomes challenging to develop clarity of concepts. The section introduction includes the definition, objective and problem statement.
- The second section of the complex structure is explaining the body. All of the relevant and required information is added in the explanation body. This is the longest section in formal writing. It is necessary to evaluate the mentioned problem critically.
- The last section of the formal structure is the conclusion. Based on a discussion of explaining the body, a logical conclusion is generated.
In a complex structure, the use of long sentences is allowed. It fulfils the requirement of clarity in a document. However, if you still have any issues using formal language in sentences, you can hire cheap assignment writing services to get help from experts.
- Writing Approach
By using formal language and style, the objective approach is ensured. In an objective approach, supporting every claim, idea, or argument is essential. If you have claimed anything and have not supported it, it will cause confusion. The reader would surely lose interest. Same as having no support for an idea or argument that makes it vague. As per the requirements of formal writing, the presence of evidence is necessary. The objective approach is an essential feature of formal writing.
- Use of third person
The use of the first-person is a characteristic of an informal writing style. The informal writing style allows for the use of emotional and personal experiences. On the other hand, formal writing does not allow the use of the first-person. So, third-person use is considered one of the essential features of formal writing. The use of the second person is also not allowed while using formal language.
- Use of full words
In formal writing, almost all of the documents are academic. The use of technical and complex terms is very common in academic writing. Also, there are many words that have abbreviations, and you need to use those words in your document. As per the features of formal writing, you are not allowed to use abbreviations in your academic documents. There may be so many readers who are not aware of those abbreviations. In such a case, the chances of confusion increase for the reader. Also, there are many words that have the same abbreviation. So, to avoid such complexities, use full words rather than abbreviations.
- Why Is It Important to Use Formal Language in Academic Writing?
In academic writing, the writing style is always formal. The purpose of academic writing is to make complex concepts easy to understand. There are different types of writing, including academic writing. Each type of writing is different in terms of structure and style. As per the standards of academic writing, the writing style needs to be formal. The demand for formal writing styles increases at a higher educational level. Academic writing is practised frequently at a higher educational level. It includes the following documents:
- Cover letter
- Research paper
- Academic essay
- Research article
All of the documents mentioned above need to be written as per the formal academic writing standards. In academic writing, it is necessary to show professionalism because of the targeted audience. The targeted audience includes professors, field experts, employees and students. By using formal language, it becomes easy to grasp the attention of a reader in the right way. It is essential to focus on the voice and structure of academic writing to ensure that it is formal.
By understanding all of the features, importance and other aspects of formal writing, you can have a compelling piece of writing. While using formal language, do not forget to follow the aforementioned tips.