Laser Hair Removal: How does it Work
Body hair is normal but many people feel uncomfortable about it and want to get rid of it permanently, to get smooth and supple skin. Shaving, waxing, or epilating are all viable methods of hair removal but the primary disadvantage of these processes is that they are not permanent solutions. With these methods, there will always be hair regrowth. Here is where laser hair removal comes into play.
Laser hair reduction is the safest, fastest, and one of the comfortable methods of hair removal. And the best part is that the removal is permanent. If you are looking for hair removal using a laser in Montreal, you can always talk with an expert.
Here we have provided a brief guide on what laser hair removal is and what its benefits and risks are. So, read on.
How Does Laser Hair Removal Work?
Laser hair removal is a permanent solution to body hair and gives smooth and hairless skin. It uses a cosmetic laser that fires a concentrated beam of light at the pigment in the hair follicles. This concentrated light kills the follicles from their roots thus preventing them from growing back.
The color pigment in our skin, melanin, not only gives color but also absorbs radiation, be it harmful UV rays of sunlight or radiation emitted from a laser. Laser treatment is based on a principle known as ‘selective photo thermolysis.’ In laser treatment, the settings of the laser are so adjusted that the wavelength of the light matches with the pigment of your hair.
This is why laser hair removal works best with lighter skin and darker hair. The radiation from the laser is drawn by the dark hair (high melanin) from the light skin (low melanin).
Benefits of Laser Hair Removal
There are several benefits of laser hair removal. Some of them are:
- One of the most significant benefits of laser hair removal is that its effects are permanent. A laser is used to killing the hair follicles from their roots which prevents them from growing back. With some other methods of hair removal like waxing and shaving, hair always grows back. But with laser, the effects are permanent.
- The laser hair removal process is very precise. Only the hair in the desired location is removed without affecting the skin or hair in the nearby area.
- It’s a very quick process. For smaller areas, it typically takes a few minutes. If the area is larger, it takes less than an hour.
- Laser hair removal is a fairly simple process and despite being thought of as a complicated procedure, the risks associated with it are negligible compared to the effects.
Risks with Laser Hair Removal
There are some minor risks associated with laser hair removal. They are:
- Skin irritation characterized by a redness of the skin is quite common after a hair removal session. But the effects are mild and temporary and vanishes within a couple of days.
- In some cases, the pigment of the surrounding skin to where the hair removal is done might get altered. But this effect too is temporary and skin color is normally restored within a few days.
- Laser hair removal is a fairly costly process and on top of that, one session might not be enough to remove all hairs. So, with multiple sessions, you can expect to pay a hefty amount.
The side effects of laser hair removal are not permanent and in most cases disappear within a couple of days. Also, these effects are not universal. Some experience them while some don’t. So, if you want to get rid of unwanted hair, you can always opt for hair removal using a laser in Montreal.